Urban Oasis - Volunteer Opportunities!
Lots of planning has been underway. Development of the Urban Oasis is just about complete. We are building and planting the last few containers this week, and preparing the site for the second annual Assembly of the Catalysts on the 20th, an assembly of groups operating under the Catalyst umbrella. More info below.
Any volunteers available to help out this week, we will be at the Catalyst Center for Urban Sustainability (1730 Long Beach Blvd., Long Beach CA 90813) working the following dates. There is plenty of labor work to help with this week. Mainly, planting edible and native plants, building containers and structures, and deconstructing others. Please RSVP just to a heads up if you are coming.
- Sunday, 7 Oct - 11am - 4pm
- Tuesday, 9 Oct - 10am - 3pm
- Wednesday, 10 Oct - 10am - 3pm
- Thursday, 11 Oct - 10am - 2pm
- Saturday, 13 Oct - 10am - 3pm
- What: The annual gathering of the entire Catalyst Network of Communities:
- When: Saturday, October 20th, 2012 from 11:00am ‐ 5:00pm:
- Where: The new Catalyst Center for Urban Sustainability 1730 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90813 (one block south of PCH at Esther)
- Who: Everyone! All collaborative partner organizations and businesses, Catalyst‐adopted fiscally sponsored, Catalyst projects and programs, including all of your members, friends, family, customers, funders, and constituents.
- Why: To build camaraderie, facilitate connection, and showcase the impact our collaboration has had on our city. To celebrate the Grand Opening of the new Catalyst Center for Urban Sustainability and the Grand Re‐Opening of the Long Beach Free Store.
After much deliberation, planning, and waiting, we are moving back onto the lot at Chestnut. It is a 200' x 50' in downtown Long Beach with a diverse selection of fruit trees on site that we have work planned out for developing the site over the next year. We will be doing it in 6 week workshop courses.
This Fall, we have a comprehensive outline of projects and goals that include weekly lessons and hands-on projects. We are trading education for labor! Please RSVP so that if there are too many people, we can see about alternative projects. We hope to have at least around 15 people signed up to commit to the 6 week course. Free of charge (though donations are welcome, recommended $5 / workshop). No one will be turned away if they can only come certain days. Click here to see the outline. Changes will be announced as they come up.
Very excited for the upcoming year!
ryan. - Foodscape Long Beach